Addresses and information on Alaska small claims courts and filings.

A person can file a claim in small claims court if he/she has a dispute involving a certain amount of money with another person, company or government agency.

The amount that could be recovered is limited, and it varies from state to state (usually from $1,500 to 10,000 Dollars.)

Most common claims in small claims courts involve:

  • Auto Accidents - Someone dents your vehicle and refuses to pay for the repairs.
  • Small Loans - Someone refuses to pay you back the money he/she borrowed.
  • Defected New Products - Your new chair breaks but the store will not fix it or return your money.
  • Poor Services Rendered - A dry cleaning company ruins your favorite dress and will not pay for or replace it.
  • Landlord/Tenant Issues - The property owner or landlord refuses to return your security deposit, even after certifying the place was left in in good condition.

Things to bring to court:

Original copies of all papers you need to help prove the case (contracts, letters, rental agreements, canceled checks, deeds, repair bills, IOUs, diagrams, written damage estimates, photographs or even drawings.)

2 photocopies of every original document. (one for the defendant, one for the court)

The piece of clothing or the appliance damaged by the defendant, if that's the case.

Any witness that could help the case. Some judges allow notarized statements by witness that cannot appear in court.

Small Claims Courts Requirements:

  • You must be at least 18 years of age. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the minor.)
  • Be of sound mind or mentally competent. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the incapacitated.)
  • United States citizen and non-citizens can use the small claims court.
  • There are no juries in small claims courts.
  • No objections are allowed.
  • Either the plaintiff (the person who is suing) or the defendant (the person being sued) are allowed to speak with an attorney before coming to court, but lawyers are not allowed in the court with you. You must be a Pro Se litigant (represent yourself.)

Hearing dates are usually set on some evenings or on Saturday (once a month.)

Hearing is scheduled within 40 days in most cases (up to 70 days if one litigant does not live in the same county).


Homer District Court 3670 Lake St Ste 100 Homer, AK 99603-7655 Phone: (907) 235`7114

Aso Court System Clerk 415 Main StKetchikan, AK 99901-6315 Phone: (907) 225`3195

Aso Court System District Court Mc Grath, AK 99627 Phone: (907) 524`3187

Court System District Court Healy, AK 99743 Phone: (907) 683`2213

Alaska Court System 303 K St Anchorage, AK 99501-2013 Phone: (907) 264`0555

Aso Court System Probate Clerk Palmer, AK 99645 Phone: (907) 746`8107

City of Seward Court Clerk Seward, AK 99664 Phone: (907) 224`4050

Cordova District Court PO Box 898 Cordova, AK 99574-0898 Phone: (907) 424`3378

Fairbanks Superior Court 101 Lacey St Fairbanks, AK 99701-4761 Phone: (907) 452`9254

Kenai District Court 5 Chugach Ave Kenai, AK 99611-7028 Phone:( 907) 283`3116

Nome District Court Federal Building Fl 2 Nome, AK 99762 Phone: (907) 443`5216

Palmer District Court 435 S Denali St Palmer, AK 99645-6437 Phone: (907) 746`8181

United States Government US District Court Anchorage, AK 99501 Phone: (907) 677`6188

Return to top of this page

Return from Alaska Small Claims to Home page.

DISCLAIMER: The law will vary depending on your state, jurisdiction and the specifics of your case. The information provided by is intended for educational purposes only. The content on this site should NOT be considered professional legal advice or a substitute for professional legal advice. For such services, we recommend getting a free initial consultation by a licensed Attorney in your state.

Alaska Small Claims
Copyright © 2020 - Alaska Small Claims - All Rights Reserved.

free page hit counter