Addresses and information on Mississippi small claims courts and case filings.

A person can file a claim in small claims court if he/she has a dispute involving a certain amount of money with another person, company or government agency.

The amount that could be recovered is limited, and it varies from state to state (usually from $1,500 to 10,000 Dollars.)

Most common claims in small claims courts involve:

  • Auto Accidents - Someone dents your vehicle and refuses to pay for the repairs.
  • Small Loans - Someone refuses to pay you back the money he/she borrowed.
  • Defected New Products - Your new chair breaks but the store will not fix it or return your money.
  • Poor Services Rendered - A dry cleaning company ruins your favorite dress and will not pay for or replace it.
  • Landlord/Tenant Issues - The property owner or landlord refuses to return your security deposit, even after certifying the place was left in in good condition.

Things to bring to court:

Original copies of all papers you need to help prove the case (contracts, letters, rental agreements, canceled checks, deeds, repair bills, IOUs, diagrams, written damage estimates, photographs or even drawings.)

2 photocopies of every original document. (one for the defendant, one for the court)

The piece of clothing or the appliance damaged by the defendant, if that's the case.

Any witness that could help the case. Some judges allow notarized statements by witness that cannot appear in court.

Small Claims Courts Requirements:

  • You must be at least 18 years of age. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the minor.)
  • Be of sound mind or mentally competent. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the incapacitated.)
  • United States citizen and non-citizens can use the small claims court.
  • There are no juries in small claims courts.
  • No objections are allowed.
  • Either the plaintiff (the person who is suing) or the defendant (the person being sued) are allowed to speak with an attorney before coming to court, but lawyers are not allowed in the court with you. You must be a Pro Se litigant (represent yourself.)

Hearing dates are usually set on some evenings or on Saturday (once a month.)

Hearing is scheduled within 40 days in most cases (up to 70 days if one litigant does not live in the same county).


Drug Court 15th Judicial Court District 310 W Main Ave Lumberton, MS 39455-2435 Phone:(601) 796`8510

Drug Court First District 2405 E Chambers Dr Booneville, MS 38829-8927 Phone:(662) 728`0480

Justice Court District 2 401 W Court St Sumner, MS 38957-9719 Phone:(662) 375`9452

U S Government District Court Judges 2012 15th St Gulfport, MS 39501-2038 Phone:(228) 563`1744

United States Government District Court Judges 245 E Capitol St Jackson, MS 39201 Phone:(601) 965`4418

Bolivar County Circuit Court Courthouse Cleveland, MS 38732 Phone:(662) 843`2071

US Federal District Court 301 W Commerce St Aberdeen, MS 39730-2520 Phone:(662) 3694952

US Federal District Court 911 Jackson Ave E Ste 369 Oxford, MS 38655-3622 Phone:(662) 234`1971

5TH Circuit Court 2012 15th St Gulfport, MS 39501-2038 Phone:(228) 563`1720

Circuit Clerk Court 100 E First St Forest, MS 39074-4203 Phone:(601) 469`3874

Bay St Louis-Waveland School District PO Box 2550 Bay St Louis, MS 39521-2550 Phone:(228) 466`5476

Return to top of this page

Return from Mississippi Small Claims to Home page.

DISCLAIMER: The law will vary depending on your state, jurisdiction and the specifics of your case. The information provided by USAttorneyLegalServices.com is intended for educational purposes only. The content on this site should NOT be considered professional legal advice or a substitute for professional legal advice. For such services, we recommend getting a free initial consultation by a licensed Attorney in your state.

Mississippi Small Claims
Copyright © 2020 USAttorneyLegalServices.com - Mississippi Small Claims - All Rights Reserved.

free page hit counter