Addresses and information on Nebraska small claims courts and filings.

A person can file a claim in small claims court if he/she has a dispute involving a certain amount of money with another person, company or government agency.

The amount that could be recovered is limited, and it varies from state to state (usually from $1,500 to 10,000 Dollars.)

Most common claims in small claims courts involve:

  • Auto Accidents - Someone dents your vehicle and refuses to pay for the repairs.
  • Small Loans - Someone refuses to pay you back the money he/she borrowed.
  • Defected New Products - Your new chair breaks but the store will not fix it or return your money.
  • Poor Services Rendered - A dry cleaning company ruins your favorite dress and will not pay for or replace it.
  • Landlord/Tenant Issues - The property owner or landlord refuses to return your security deposit, even after certifying the place was left in in good condition.

Things to bring to court:

Original copies of all papers you need to help prove the case (contracts, letters, rental agreements, canceled checks, deeds, repair bills, IOUs, diagrams, written damage estimates, photographs or even drawings.)

2 photocopies of every original document. (one for the defendant, one for the court)

The piece of clothing or the appliance damaged by the defendant, if that's the case.

Any witness that could help the case. Some judges allow notarized statements by witness that cannot appear in court.

Small Claims Courts Requirements:

  • You must be at least 18 years of age. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the minor.)
  • Be of sound mind or mentally competent. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the incapacitated.)
  • United States citizen and non-citizens can use the small claims court.
  • There are no juries in small claims courts.
  • No objections are allowed.
  • Either the plaintiff (the person who is suing) or the defendant (the person being sued) are allowed to speak with an attorney before coming to court, but lawyers are not allowed in the court with you. You must be a Pro Se litigant (represent yourself.)

Hearing dates are usually set on some evenings or on Saturday (once a month.)

Hearing is scheduled within 40 days in most cases (up to 70 days if one litigant does not live in the same county).


Douglas County District Court 300 Hall Of Justice Omaha, NE 68105 Phone:(402) 444`7018

Usace Omaha District 1616 Capitol Ave Omaha, NE 68102-4909 Phone:(402) 995`2080

U S Dstrict Court-District Neb 100 Centennial Mall N Ste 474 Lincoln, NE 68508-3803 Phone:(402) 437`5651

Government Offices State State Supreme Court Lincoln, NE 68501 Phone:(402) 471`3734

Clerk of District Court PO Box 45 Neligh, NE 68756-0045 Phone:(402) 887`4508

Clerk of The District Court 500 Box Butte Ave Alliance, NE 69301 Phone:(308) 762`6293

Clerk of The District Court 503 Main St Thedford, NE 69166-9719 Phone:(308) 645`2261

County Offices Clerk of District Court Tecumseh, NE 68450 Phone:(402) 335`6301

County Offices Clerk of District Court Pawnee City, NE 68420 Phone:(402) 852`2963

County Offices District Court Clerk Auburn, NE 68305 Phone:(402) 274`3616

Clerk of Dist Court 605 Main St Bridgeport, NE 69336-4003 Phone:(308) 262`1261

Avoca Village Clerk 217 Tefft St Avoca, NE 68307 Phone:(402) 275`3757

City Clerk Office PO Box 604 Burwell, NE 68823-0604 Phone:(308) 346`4509

District Court 117 E 1st St Grand Island, NE 68801-6091 Phone:(308) 385`5666

Return to top of this page

Return from Nebraska Small Claims to Home page.

DISCLAIMER: The law will vary depending on your state, jurisdiction and the specifics of your case. The information provided by is intended for educational purposes only. The content on this site should NOT be considered professional legal advice or a substitute for professional legal advice. For such services, we recommend getting a free initial consultation by a licensed Attorney in your state.

Nebraska Small Claims
Copyright © 2020 - Nebraska Small Claims - All Rights Reserved.

free page hit counter