Addresses and information on Utah small claims courts and filings.

A person can file a claim in small claims court if he/she has a dispute involving a certain amount of money with another person, company or government agency.

The amount that could be recovered is limited, and it varies from state to state (usually from $1,500 to 10,000 Dollars.)

Most common claims in small claims courts involve:

  • Auto Accidents - Someone dents your vehicle and refuses to pay for the repairs.
  • Small Loans - Someone refuses to pay you back the money he/she borrowed.
  • Defected New Products - Your new chair breaks but the store will not fix it or return your money.
  • Poor Services Rendered - A dry cleaning company ruins your favorite dress and will not pay for or replace it.
  • Landlord/Tenant Issues - The property owner or landlord refuses to return your security deposit, even after certifying the place was left in in good condition.

Things to bring to court:

Original copies of all papers you need to help prove the case (contracts, letters, rental agreements, canceled checks, deeds, repair bills, IOUs, diagrams, written damage estimates, photographs or even drawings.)

2 photocopies of every original document. (one for the defendant, one for the court)

The piece of clothing or the appliance damaged by the defendant, if that's the case.

Any witness that could help the case. Some judges allow notarized statements by witness that cannot appear in court.

Small Claims Courts Requirements:

  • You must be at least 18 years of age. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the minor.)
  • Be of sound mind or mentally competent. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the incapacitated.)
  • United States citizen and non-citizens can use the small claims court.
  • There are no juries in small claims courts.
  • No objections are allowed.
  • Either the plaintiff (the person who is suing) or the defendant (the person being sued) are allowed to speak with an attorney before coming to court, but lawyers are not allowed in the court with you. You must be a Pro Se litigant (represent yourself.)

Hearing dates are usually set on some evenings or on Saturday (once a month.)

Hearing is scheduled within 40 days in most cases (up to 70 days if one litigant does not live in the same county).


Salt Lake City Justice Court PO Box 145499 333 South 200 East Salt Lake City UT 84114-5499 Phone: (801)535`6301 Fax: (801)535`6302

Salt Lake County Justice Court 2001 South State Salt Lake City, UT 84190 Phone: (801) 468`3430 Fax: (801) 468`2171

Salt Lake City Justice Court 333 S 200 E Salt Lake City, UT 84111 Phone: (801) 535`6300 Fax: (801) 535`6302

District Court 206 West Tabernacle Street Saint George, Utah 84770-2400 Phone: (435) 986`5730

5th District Court - Bevr Cnty 2270 S 525 W Beaver, UT 84713 Phone:(435) 438`5309

7th District Juvenile Court 75 E Main Castle Dale, UT 84513 Phone:(435) 381`5311

First District Court 135 N 100 W Logan, UT 84321-5058 Phone:(435) 750`1260

Return to top of this page

Return from Utah Small Claims to Home page.

DISCLAIMER: The law will vary depending on your state, jurisdiction and the specifics of your case. The information provided by USAttorneyLegalServices.com is intended for educational purposes only. The content on this site should NOT be considered professional legal advice or a substitute for professional legal advice. For such services, we recommend getting a free initial consultation by a licensed Attorney in your state.

Utah Small Claims
Copyright © 2020 USAttorneyLegalServices.com - Utah Small Claims - All Rights Reserved.

free page hit counter