Addresses and information on Washington small claims courts and filings.

A person can file a claim in small claims court if he/she has a dispute involving a certain amount of money with another person, company or government agency.

The amount that could be recovered is limited, and it varies from state to state (usually from $1,500 to 10,000 Dollars.)

Most common claims in small claims courts involve:

  • Auto Accidents - Someone dents your vehicle and refuses to pay for the repairs.
  • Small Loans - Someone refuses to pay you back the money he/she borrowed.
  • Defected New Products - Your new chair breaks but the store will not fix it or return your money.
  • Poor Services Rendered - A dry cleaning company ruins your favorite dress and will not pay for or replace it.
  • Landlord/Tenant Issues - The property owner or landlord refuses to return your security deposit, even after certifying the place was left in in good condition.

Things to bring to court:

Original copies of all papers you need to help prove the case (contracts, letters, rental agreements, canceled checks, deeds, repair bills, IOUs, diagrams, written damage estimates, photographs or even drawings.)

2 photocopies of every original document. (one for the defendant, one for the court)

The piece of clothing or the appliance damaged by the defendant, if that's the case.

Any witness that could help the case. Some judges allow notarized statements by witness that cannot appear in court.

Small Claims Courts Requirements:

  • You must be at least 18 years of age. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the minor.)
  • Be of sound mind or mentally competent. (If not, a guardian appointed by the court will sue for the incapacitated.)
  • United States citizen and non-citizens can use the small claims court.
  • There are no juries in small claims courts.
  • No objections are allowed.
  • Either the plaintiff (the person who is suing) or the defendant (the person being sued) are allowed to speak with an attorney before coming to court, but lawyers are not allowed in the court with you. You must be a Pro Se litigant (represent yourself.)

Hearing dates are usually set on some evenings or on Saturday (once a month.)

Hearing is scheduled within 40 days in most cases (up to 70 days if one litigant does not live in the same county).


District Crt Cvil Small Claims 312 Sw 1st Ave Kelso, WA 98626-1739 Phone:(360) 577`3073

Small Claims Court 1902 96th St S Tacoma, WA 98444-2808 Phone:(253) 798`6311

Thurston County of - District Court Civil/Small Claims 2000 Lakeridge Dr Sw Bldg 3 Olympia, WA 98502 Phone:(360) 754`4102

District Court 516 3rd Ave Seattle, WA 98104-2385 Phone:(206) 205`2820

District Court Bellingham, WA 98225 Phone:(360) 676`6770

Grays Harbor County Court District 102 W Broadway Ave Montesano, WA 98563-3621 Phone:(360) 249`3842

Island County District Court 800 Se 8th Avenue Oak Harbor, WA 98277-3741 Phone:(360) 675`5988

Return to top of this page

Return from Washington Small Claims to Home page.

DISCLAIMER: The law will vary depending on your state, jurisdiction and the specifics of your case. The information provided by USAttorneyLegalServices.com is intended for educational purposes only. The content on this site should NOT be considered professional legal advice or a substitute for professional legal advice. For such services, we recommend getting a free initial consultation by a licensed Attorney in your state.

Washington Small Claims
Copyright © 2020 USAttorneyLegalServices.com - Washington Small Claims - All Rights Reserved.

free page hit counter